Information for Postdocs - Faculty of Medicine
- A researcher interested in mentoring a postdoctoral fellow should apply to the Dean of Medicine, Prof. Karl Skorecki, at email@example.com.
The application form should include the following information of the postdoctoral fellow:
Following approval from the Dean, the postdoctoral fellow may proceed with the following steps. Keep the approval (and all the submitted documents) for later registration.
- Copy of passport (ID).
- Approval of health insurance (see next section).
- CV and list of publications (if any).
- 3 letters of recommendation.
- Approval of the PhD
- The title of the PhD dissertation.
- The title of the proposed research for the postdoctoral fellowship.
- The source of funding for awarding the fellowship to the fellow, and the authorization from the party responsible for funding at the university
Getting Health Insurance
- Get yourself a health insurance. There is no obligation to work with a specific insurance provider. One option is to fill the form of Harel Yedidim and mail it to Einat Cohen at Einat@yedidim.co.il.
- The daily premium insurance costs around 1.9 USD per day.
- You can pay for the whole period in one payment (using any credit card, not necessarily an Israeli one), or ask them to charge you on a monthly basis (in which case, the payment takes place every 9--11 of the month). It is also possible to pay through an international transaction, but you have to pay the commission of the banks. If you have an Israeli account you can pay from there.
- When filling in the insurance application form, make sure to set the cover
dates to start on the day of signing the former (and not earlier).
Obtaining a student Visa
- Make sure that your passport expiration date is far away.
- Complete and sign the
application form. Note, you may need an address in Israel. Henrietta Szold St. 8, Zefat.
- Prepare a physical and electronic copy of the following documents before contacting the closest embassy of Israel:
- Two passport pictures.
- Invitation letter with your full name (as it appears on the passport), passport number, and start and end dates of your postdoctoral studies.
- Proof of the financial support/scholarship for the postdoctoral period.
- A travel document that is valid for at least one year, from the start date of the postdoctoral studies, electronic copy of the page with your personal details,
and previous entry visas to Israel if you have any.
- Contact the closest embassy of Israel,
ask for an appointment for A2 Visa
and ask whether additional documents are needed. The embassy may indeed require for additional documents.
e.g. residence permit (in case you are not living in your home country), hotel reservation, flight tickets, PhD diploma, work reference letter, etc.
- Pay the fee and attend the appointment. They will provide you with the information for the payment, the date and time of the appointment, and the
list of documents that you must send in advance via e-mail (scanned).
You will be asked to show the originals during the appointment.
Note: the visa is for one year starting the date of the appointment. It is therefore advised to make the appointment
as close as possible to your arrival to Israel.
Extending your student Visa
Your first day in the Faculty
- Get yourself a local SIM card (you will need it for all the later steps). Here is one options:
They sell prepaid SIM cards by 019 mobile.
The SIM card costs 40NIS (one time), and a standard plan (including unlimited calls + 20GB data/month) costs 49NIS/month.
- Digitali, Jerusalem St. 96, Phone: 04-699-9993.
It is possible to order a sim card online before coming to Israel, and then pick it up at the airport upon your arrival.
- Get yourself a bank account and a debit/credit card. Outside campus, you'll find a branch of Mizrahi Tefahot (bank code # is 20, and the branch code # is 562).
Make sure to bring in your postdoc invitation letter, your passport, AND an ID card from a country where you are a citizen, and the number of your local phone.
They may need the tax identification number or equivalent from the country where you pay your tax. They may later ask you to e-mail them a copy of the postdoc invitation letter.
- Fill out the three forms:
- Postdoctoral fellowship application form. (You should already have this)
- Registration form for postdocs.
- Policy for postdoctoral fellows.
- Submit them (along with your passport-sized photo, a photocopy of your passport, and a photocopy of the approval of your PhD degree) to Tova Hasidim.
- Ask your postdoc advisor to:
- Assign you a room at the Faculty.
- Assign you a mailbox at the Faculty.
- Show you the library.
- Fill and submit the scholarship payment form.
- Provide you the acknowledgement-for-funding string to be included in your research papers.
Your second week in the Faculty
- Go to the bank to pick up your debit/credit card.
- Go to Hadas Hasidim to pick up your student card, and to provide your bank details, so that you can receive your monthly scholarship.
- Contact Gershon Kunin to receive username+password for your BIU Email account.
- You can also connect to Bar-Ilan computer from home
- There are no dormitories yet at the Faculty of Medicine.
- You can request a host for your first days at the Student Association.
- Alternatively, you can look for accommodation using AirBNB
or at a local hotel.
- To find an rental appartment (free), take a walk in the surroundings of the campus and look for "For Rent" signs. Also, look for announcements on campus billboards.
- To find a rental apartment (not free), use a real estate agency. They are expensive and charge one month of rent as payment.
- Jacob Realty, Jerusalem St. 60, 04-697-1093
- Sofer Realty, HaPalmach St. 10, 077-917-0090
- Hasidim Realty, Jerusalem St. 050-457-3304
- The campus address is: Henrietta Szold St. 8, Zefat. /
- Faculty Website
- The campus has a free WiFi network
- A month (or more) before going on a conference, you will need to submit an application form together with an invitation letter.
- After coming back from the conference, you have to submit all your boarding passes and receipts and provide a financial report and a scientific report.
Last update - December 30th, 2020 - by Dr. Avraham Samson at firstname.lastname@example.org